Monday, August 3, 2009
Did you ever feel like someone was riding you, while you slept and felt like you couldnt do anything like move your body? well turns out it's part of the mind's mechanism to paralyse you while you sleep and keep you from harming yourself as you react to dreams and nightmares..interesting stuff!! and here i was thinking some "Witch" was riding me while i slept..here's a cople of cool facts i found at infobarel and Csicop
1. The record for the longest period without sleep is over 18 days. This person experienced hallucinations, blurred vision, slurred speech and memory lapses.
2. It is almost impossible to tell if someone is really awake without medical supervision. People can have naps with their eyes open and not even know it.
3. Elephants lie down during REM sleep, but sleep standing up during non-REM sleep.
4. What is commonly known as the the “natural alarm clock” which allows people to wake up when they want, is caused by the stress hormone adrenocorticotropin.
5. The tiny rays of light from a digital alarm clock can actually be enough to disrupt your sleep cycle.
6. On average humans sleep about three hours less than other primates.
7. Ducks are able to balance the need for sleep and survival by keeping one half of the brain awake and other half in sleep mode.
8. Most of what we know about sleep we’ve learned in the past 25 years.
9. It has been suggested that the availability of the internet is one of the major influences of sleep distractions.
10. Studies suggest that women need up to an hour's extra sleep a night compared to men
Eurithmics - Sweet Dreams